From the Harford County Sheriff’s Office:
Keeping Children Safe In A Crowd
If you are watching a parade or enjoying a fireworks display, remember:
- Take small children by the hand when walking through a crowd.
- Have older children use the buddy system.
- Make sure children know the name and phone number of someone to contact in an emergency.
- Designate a meeting place, in the event you are separated.
- Make a plan ahead of time and teach children how to seek help:
- Ask a police, fire, or EMS officer, for help. Parade and event officials can help, too.
- Go into a public store, and ask the cashier for assistance or to use the phone.
- Draw attention to yourself.
Fireworks Safety Message
From Maryland State Fire Marshal William Barnard:
The safest way to view fireworks is to attend one of the many public displays throughout the county.
“Fireworks have been a long tradition of the 4th of July holiday celebrations. Please make safety your number one priority so everyone can enjoy the holiday season,” adds the State Fire Marshal. “By acting responsibly, we can help eliminate fireworks injuries in Maryland.”